Thursday, August 30, 2012

No Mini Versions of Us

I love photographs. I love taking them. I love seeing a shot and wishing I had my camera. I love admiring photographs that other people took. F.acebook is appealing to me because I love photos....so I enjoy looking at other people's family photos. It hit me today that it isn't just that I find it hard to see pictures of other people's kids. It's the fact that as I look at them I'm thinking things like, "Oh, he looks just like his dad." or "I can see both his parent in that one." It's the reminder that I won't be able to say that about my children. Our kids aren't going to have my smile, my husband's nose, or look just like one of us. It makes me sad. I'm sure once we adopt and hold our little one in our arms, that won't matter anymore, but right now looking at other's photos constantly reminds me of that fact.

1 comment:

  1. I totally get this post. My twin boys came to me through an egg donation from my sister. I know that we have a genetic link but I always wonder what my biological children would look like. I know I could never love them more but it does cross my mind. My beautiful boys have bright blue eyes, mine are dark brow, and one has light blond hair, mine is very dark. I think their is a grieving process that you have to go through when you have an "alternative" family but in the end you won't care. I believe your children will still take after you in their facial expressions and body gestures and will be your mini-me.
    I wish you the best and I hope you have the family you dream of!

    ReplyDelete