Monday, June 14, 2010

Baby Talk....(No, I'm NOT pregnant!)

Wedding showers/Bachelorette parties have lots of baby talk. That's what I've discovered. While only half of the people there had children, the constant referals to their kids, being moms, future kids, fertility, etc. abounded! Somehow I managed, though I did think I may take an extra trip to the bathroom if this continues just to breath some non-fertility related air. Joking about how "sexy pink" underwear can make you fertile isn't that funny now that I'm in the inferility boat. People don't have a clue. Anyhow, thankfully two of my best friends were there and I know that inside they "get it" as much as someone can who isn't going through this trial exactly.

To top it off, someone then commented on a photo I posted online from the event, wondering if I was pregnant in a code sort of way. Uh no, just fat. It was an honest mistake, our names were similar and she was wondering who the shower was for. I rectified that right away. It didn't break my heart, it some way, I just took it as a "it figures" sort of thing. I guess, maybe I'm understanding of people's perspectives and don't take everything to heart. Does that make sense?

It has been interesting how each of the three (two other friends and myself) of us have had our own trials these last few years. Although all three are completely different -- infertility, divorce, and a baby with a rare genetic disorder -- the paths somehow are similar. It's about expectations that aren't/weren't met and finding a "new normal" though we wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's about learning to worship God even in the midst of heartache and pain. Still figuring out how to do that one. It's hard.

 

1 comment:

  1. You're a stronger person than me, I avoid all showers like the plague. Your blog title really intrigued me because it is so accurate. I'm tired of waiting and I'm exhausted. Thanks for the honest thoughts, I'll be following your journey.

    ReplyDelete